[Dovecot] Architecture for large Dovecot cluster

Joseph Tam jtam.home at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 04:05:50 EET 2014

>> Just a guess, but I expect the difference is because NetApp de-dupes
>> by checksumming blocks and mark whole blocks as duplicates if they
>> have the same checksum.
>
> True, the start of the message is always at byte 0, but because of
> different header length per user for the same message (different mail
> address with different lengths) the body will never start at the same
> byte.

Oh yes, that's right.  I confused maildir format with sendmail
queue files that separates header and body.  There is still some
similarlity for mass mailouts to the same mail domain: they will
have almost identical headers +/- message IDs and a few bytes
here and there, but as you say, SiS is the way to go for deduping
bulky message attachments.

Joseph Tam <jtam.home at gmail.com>