[Dovecot] mail_log_events, but who exactly triggered events?

Steffen Kaiser skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
Thu Jan 30 13:45:57 EET 2014

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 30.01.2014 12:04, schrieb Arkadiusz Miśkiewicz:

>>> do not share user-logins
>>
>> I'm not sharing. Customers are.
>>
>>> don't do that for any service, not only mail
>>
>> That impossible to make.
>>
>> Customer creates login "abc" on my server and gives it to 10 employees to
>> watch that mailbox.
>>
>> 10 employees log in to that single accound and do some actions. One of them is
>> "bad" and deletes important mail. I want to be able to figure which one.
>>
>> I have no control over customers. Also I see no sensible reason to disallow
>> such work style
>
> than your answer to them is simply "i can't tell who did what" as long
> they insist on that work style - how is that your problem?

(Y)

@Arkadiusz, please tell us, if 10 people use the same account name and
password, how would you as a server behind the internet with a human
brain differ those 10 individuals?

The only idea I, personally, have is the IP address: Do they connect from
different IP addresses _all_ the time? No NAT involved? Do you know who
uses which IP address _all_ the time? If so, Dovecot logs the IP address
during login and you can associate a PID with an IP address, IMHO you can
add the remote IP address to the log string. Check out the variables page
in the Wiki.

But, frankly, _if_ you have someone, who is >>"bad" and deletes important
mail<<, you should see >>sensible reason to disallow such work style<<.
The next time you see yet another IP address and don't know the user
again.

- --
Steffen Kaiser