Disable user login for a few seconds ?

Nick Edwards nick.z.edwards at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 00:55:54 UTC 2014

stop mail server daemons (you DO have a backup MX I hope  if you only
have one mail server), rsync, (or if theres not much, sshfs and "cp
-a") start mail server daemons.

if this is a different machine, with new IP, hope you changed your DNS
to TTL 0 - and did it at least 24 hours ago so changes are picked up
right away (dont forget to reset TTL to  1D again)