dovecot lda invalid user settings

CJ Keist cj.keist at colostate.edu
Thu Jul 10 17:26:05 UTC 2014

I'm now dealing with issue with some users on mbox getting invalid user
settings in /var/adm/messages.  /var/log/syslog has:

Jul 10 11:21:42 mail2 dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.error] lda(ejames):
Error: user ejames: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Mail storage
autodetection failed with home=/top/academic/Atmos/people/ejames/home
Jul 10 11:21:42 mail2 dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.crit] lda(ejames): Fatal:
Invalid user settings. Refer to server log for more information.

I checked this users home directory and the mail folder is there and
permissions are all correct.

I'm running in a mixed mbox and Maildir environment. I read to support
this environment you simply comment out the mail_location lines in
10-mail.conf file which will force dovecot to auto detect what format a
user is using.  This worked fine in dovecot 1.2.12, but seems to failing
here.

  root at mail2:/userM/mail-services/dovecot/sbin# ./dovecot -n
# 2.2.13: /userM/mail-services/dovecot/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: SunOS 5.11 i86pc
auth_failure_delay = 5 secs
auth_mechanisms = plain login cram-md5
auth_worker_max_count = 3000
base_dir = /userM/mail-services/dovecot/var/run/dovecot/
default_client_limit = 30000
default_process_limit = 5000
disable_plaintext_auth = no
hostname = mail2.engr.colostate.edu
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave duplicate
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
passdb {
   driver = passwd
}
postmaster_address = cjay at engr.colostate.edu
service auth {
   unix_listener /var/lib/postfix/private/auth {
     mode = 0666
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0666
     user = postfix
   }
   user = root
}
service imap-login {
   inet_listener imap {
     port = 143
   }
   inet_listener imaps {
     port = 993
     ssl = yes
   }
}
service pop3-login {
   inet_listener pop3 {
     port = 110
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     port = 995
     ssl = yes
   }
}
ssl_cert = </userM/mail-services/dovecot/etc/ssl/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </userM/mail-services/dovecot/etc/ssl/privkey.pem
userdb {
   args = blocking=yes
   driver = passwd
}
protocol imap {
   mail_max_userip_connections = 50
}
protocol lda {
   mail_plugins = sieve
}
protocol pop3 {

C. J. Keist                     Email: cj.keist at colostate.edu
Systems Group Manager           Solaris 10 OS (SAI)
Engineering Network Services    Phone: 970-491-0630
College of Engineering, CSU     Fax:   970-491-5569
Ft. Collins, CO 80523-1301

All I want is a chance to prove 'Money can't buy happiness'