Sieve: adding Date: header when missing

Daniele Nicolodi daniele at grinta.net
Thu Jul 17 14:46:25 UTC 2014

Hello Harald,

On 17/07/2014 16:30, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.07.2014 16:13, schrieb Daniele Nicolodi:
>> there is a way with a sieve rule to add a Date: header when it is
>> missing?  Adding one with the time of reception of the message or using
>> the date from the the first Received: header would be good options.
>>
>> Unfortunately I'm receiving some useful automated messages that lack a
>> Date header and this screws up the sorting in my imap clients.  I have a
>> script to fix those acting on the Maildir storage, but I would prefer to
>> have the thing solved more radically
>
> in no case that's dovecot related

Indeed. Maybe my question was not clear, what I'm asking is a way to add
the header to the specific messages via a sieve rule.  I can add headers
via sieve but I don't know if there is a way to get the current time or
to set an header with information from another.

> if at all the MTA has to deal with metadata as it does
> with missing message-id's - LDA/LMTP should never change
> anything inside a message and just store "as it is"

The default behavior of the clients I'm using is to use the time at
which the message has been retrieved from the IMAP server, which does
not really make sense to me.

> BTW:
> i guess smokeping
> Fedora has fixed that after a bugreport from me months ago

I don't know what smokeping is.

Cheers,
Daniele