Multiple servers and NFS

Nathan Schultheiss nathan at schultheiss.fr
Thu Jul 24 17:09:07 UTC 2014

Hi Eduardo,

Since I few day I try to setup this config 2, but I've really problem with the NFS.

We come from Google Apps :) I several people on the hospital have large mailbox.
For example 96000 mails in the INBOX folder, when I do "ls" that is quick for display mail, but with dovecot... I need wait 1 minuts the first time and after display the amount of mail it's quick.

We don't have NetAPP, we've Dell Equallogic with SATA2 7200rpm, gigabits ports.
The Equallogic it's just for store email, and index file.

My config:

Dell Equallogic
|-> VMWare ESXI (iscsi mount in VMware with VMWare VMFS 5 format 4To)
|--> Mounted as slave disk on a VM Ubuntu and exported with this options "(rw,no_subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=1000,async)" and formated as ReiserFS (I've read it's the best for many small files).
|---> My 2 Dovecot Backend mount the NFS (fstab) to my previous VM with this options "nfs  defaults  0  0"
|----> Mail it's stored in MailDir format "mail_location = maildir:%h"

When I go on Roundcube with a mailbox who I've 96000 in the INBOX "cur" folder, the first time I need 1 minutes waiting.
The second time it's a little more quick 10 seconds... But when I go back again (after a few hours) it's slow again... And we'are just 5 users at the moment for test...

I've not setup director for the moment I try first dovecot on my lab befor add director and move mailbox from Google...

Have you recommandation for tune or make NFS more quickly, because with Google it's really fast (ok it's google) but if we move to a more slow system, the user on the hospital would no be happy.
I've try many config, but no really success for have a fast NFS, I don't know if the problem it's VMWARE or if the problem it's just my NFS options.

I'm not pettry good with linux, I'm most good with Windows server, I'm not a good man Google, Microsoft, I know it's devil for every linux sysadmin :)

Thanks,
Nathan