Segfault dovecot 2.2.9

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Jul 28 10:40:12 UTC 2014

Am 28.07.2014 12:33, schrieb Simon Gareste:
> Le 28/07/2014 12:14, Reindl Harald a écrit :
>> Am 28.07.2014 09:44, schrieb Simon Gareste:
>>> When trying to set up dovecot, I somehow managed to get a segfault. Trying to launch dovecot from command line
>>> (simply execute 'dovecot') results in the error message:
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>>
>>> Trying dovecot -n results in pretty much the same:
>>> # 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>>> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>>>
>>> Looking at syslog, I see
>>> doveconf[3676]: segfault at 200 ip 00007fbb93c4fcb3 sp 00007fff005b4c10 error 4 in
>>> libc-2.19.so[7fbb93c04000+1bc000]
>> current is 2.2.13
>>
>> so don't report problems with a outdated version instead
>> just upgrade - there where bugfixes between 2.2.9 and
>> 2.2.13 in context of segfaults here and there
>>
> Thank you. This outdated version is the one packaged in Ubuntu
> LTS 14.04.1, which I believe I'm not the only one using

that's the problem with all that LTS packages

nobody knows what fixes they may have backported and
what are missing, so the version number no longer says
anything which makes it also impossible for the upstream
developer to know the patchlevel

that's why i build packages for server software the last
7 years on my own infrastructure from upstream sources

Updating the dovecot packages provided by Ubuntu would certainly help. I understand that the version I'm

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.dovecot/76231