incremental mailbox syncs for quick migration

Jogi Hofmüller jogi at mur.at
Tue Jul 29 13:39:06 UTC 2014

Hi all,

We are facing quite large mailboxes (>10GB) in our migration from cyrus
to dovecot.  I did a test on one mailbox and repeated the sync a couple
of times with the expected result that the second, third, etc. sync took
only seconds compared to minutes for the first sync.  We use this
command to sync a mailbox:

  doveadm backup -R -u USER imapc:

Are there any problems to be expected when we first do a sync for all
mailboxes but do not migrate the users right away but instead do the
actual migration using a second sync?

Cheers,
--
j.hofmüller                                http://thesix.mur.at/