LMTP during dsync migration

Jogi Hofmüller jogi at mur.at
Wed Jul 30 09:10:38 UTC 2014

Hi Jiri, all,

Thanks for your reply.

Am 2014-07-29 16:13, schrieb Jiri Bourek:

> Considering you're planning to use doveadm backup, you can't deliver
> into the new mailbox. From dsync man page:

Yes, this is the way we plan to migrate the mailboxes.

> backup - Backup mails from default mail location to location2 (or vice
> versa, if -R parameter is given). No changes are ever done to the source
> location. Any changes done in destination are discarded.

> Unless I misunderstood something, this means that if you deliver
> messages to the new mailbox, next run of doveadm backup will remove them.

We are not planning on multiple runs of doveadm backup.  The question is
what to do with LMTP _while_ the doveadm backup migration is happening?

At the time when mailbox X get's migrated, the settings used for the
proxy will be removed, so user X cannot access the mailbox on the old
server anymore.  Given the size of some of the mailboxes chances are
quite high that there will be delivery attempts _during_ the migration
process.  That's what I am thinking about.

Cheers,
--
j.hofmüller                                http://thesix.mur.at/