[Dovecot] General questions about TCP replication with dsync

Patrick De Zordo patrick at spamreducer.eu
Wed Jun 4 17:35:08 UTC 2014

Hi Guys,

I would like to question why I see this errors in my logs.

Let explain me!

Dovecot version: 2.2.9 (on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS)

I’ve configured our dovecot servers (2 servers) to do the TCP replication
with dsync.

This is working flawless.

1. Question:

In logs I can see this errors on every sync (on the “slave” server / server
without changes which should be updated):

---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----

dsync-server(email at example.com): Error:
net_connect_unix(/var/run/dovecot/replicator-doveadm) failed: Permission
denied

---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----

Googling a bit gave me the information “This should be normal”..?

Well ok, errors in logs are not nice to see, but can someone confirm this is
really ok? Timo?

2. Question (much more important):

We are using sieve scripts for our users, they are replicated to the
replica-host but this errors appears in logs on every synchronized message:

---8<-----------------------------------------------------------------------
----

dsync-server(email at example.com): Error: Failed to access mailbox
dovecot/sieve: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more
information.

dsync-server(email at example.com): Error:
stat(/var/vmail/example.com/email/.dovecot.sieve/tmp) failed: Not a
directory

----

So what’s going on there?

This is strange and should not be, right?

Any hints?

Thank you very much!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Distinti saluti / Kind regards

De Zordo Patrick

patrick at spamreducer.eu