[Dovecot] General questions about TCP replication with dsync

deano-dovecot at areyes.com deano-dovecot at areyes.com
Thu Jun 5 00:50:18 UTC 2014

How does this affect the other packages and the dependencies ? For
example, my test system is an Ubuntu 14.04/trusty box ...

$ dpkg -l
dove* | fgrep ii
ii dovecot-antispam 2.0+20130822-2build1 Dovecot
plugins for training spam filters
ii dovecot-core 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1
secure POP3/IMAP server - core files
ii dovecot-imapd 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1
secure POP3/IMAP server - IMAP daemon
ii dovecot-lmtpd
1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1 secure POP3/IMAP server - LMTP server
ii
dovecot-managesieved 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1 secure POP3/IMAP server -
ManageSieve server
ii dovecot-sieve 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1 secure POP3/IMAP
server - Sieve filters support
ii dovecot-solr 1:2.2.9-1ubuntu2.1 secure
POP3/IMAP server - Solr support

So rather than the stock

_sudo
apt-get install dovecot-imapd dovecot-sieve dovecot-antispam
dovecot-managesieved dovecot-lmtpd dovecot-solr_

one would install
_dovecot_ from the MAMARLEY PPA ? To integrate cleanly it would have to
"Provides: dovecot-common" and "Replaces: dovecot-common, mailavenger"
like the stock dovecot-core does. While we can and do use non-stock
packages, we really try to stay with stock(ish) packages as much as
possible to ease upgrade administration. I'm dealing with a slew of
custom apache2 installs, all unique, on a bunch of old Cent 5.2 boxes
right now, and it's a mighty pain.

D.

On 2014-06-04 16:41, Robert
Schetterer wrote:

> Am 04.06.2014 19:53, schrieb Patrick De Zordo:
>

>> Well, not so easy.. we are working on a productive server; this
version ships as default for this distro.. I don't even know how to
compile my own dovecot version..

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PrebuiltBinaries#Automatically_Built_Packages

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/06/17/dovecot-patching-mit-debian-und-ubuntu/