[Dovecot] Authentication Failure (newbie)

Danny Gorton danny at bushidosoftware.com
Sun Jun 8 08:25:08 UTC 2014

Daniel,

Thanks for the reply.  After reading up on that link, I removed all
chroot settings, letting dovecot use its defaults.  I figure that should
open things up as much as possible for testing.  My configuration now
looks like this, but I get no change in behavior:

# 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ext4
auth_debug = yes
auth_debug_passwords = yes
auth_mechanisms = plain cram-md5
auth_verbose = yes
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
disable_plaintext_auth = no
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot.info
listen = *
log_path = /var/log/dovecot
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%d/%n/Maildir
passdb {
   args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocols = imap pop3
service auth {
   executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/auth
   unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0666
     user = postfix
   }
   unix_listener auth-userdb {
     group = postfix
     mode = 0777
     user = postfix
   }
   user = vmail
}
service imap-login {
   executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap-login
   user = dovecot
}
service imap {
   executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
}
service pop3-login {
   executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3-login
   inet_listener pop3 {
     address = *
     port = 110
   }
   inet_listener pop3s {
     address = *
     port = 995
   }
   user = dovecot
}
service pop3 {
   executable = /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
}
ssl = required
ssl_cert = </etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt
ssl_key = </etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key
userdb {
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%d/%n /etc/dovecot/users
   driver = passwd-file
}
protocol pop3 {
   pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv