OT - Finding/removing duplicate emails - WAS: Re: [Dovecot] dovecot/lmtp munmap()-ing a lot

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jun 10 13:56:30 UTC 2014

Am 10.06.2014 15:39, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> Am 10.06.2014 15:17, schrieb Steffen Kaiser:
>>> The basic question is: what is a duplicate?
>>> However, neither script I would call general enough for automatic processing
>
>> dbmail has just "suppress_duplicates = yes" and silently ignores
>> *new received* messages with the same message-id to the same user
>> as a global setting
>
> Wasn't there a thread some days/weeks ago, that Pigeonhole behaves the same by default and the poster asked how
> long the timeframe is Pigeonhole remembers the ids?
>
> Actually, I still wonder about whether or not the same message-id is sufficient to decide to "silently drop" a
> message, as I interprete "to ignore a message" as "to drop". They might came different paths, some MUA might not
> generate ids unqiue world-wide or time-depended, ... . It's a matter of taste, IMHO

if the MUA generates no message-id at all the MTA usually does
because otherwise you would risk to get messages rejected what
we did many many years ago for any incoming mail without msgid

if it generates one it's unlikely to have the same message-id
for the same RCPT - usually the current timestamp is part of it