ot: accepting self certs into win pc?

Frank Leonhardt t200907 at fjl.co.uk
Wed Jun 11 09:14:35 UTC 2014

On 11/06/2014 09:56, mourik jan heupink - merit wrote:
> Hi Frank, list,
>
> On 6/10/2014 3:10, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>> I get endless grief over this, but if you think Microsoft is bad, try
>>  Apple. I wrote some notes on it once:
>>
>> http://blog.frankleonhardt.com/2012/certificate-errors-on-internet-explorer-9-and-how-to-stop-them/
>>

>> I didn't mention it in the post, but IIRC this did work for making
>> some versions Outlook (and other Microsoft Mail things) happy at the
>> same time.
>
> But do the above steps work for folks here..? I've tried them (IE 11,
> win7, outlook 2013) but outlook keeps asking about (self signed) imaps
> certificates.
>
> Is it just me who cannot import self-signed certificates into microsoft
> products anymore?
>
> MJ

I did say it was a PITA and I did say it was using IE9! It's only a
place to start.

Another method that *has* worked is to download the certificate as a
file ending in .cer. Open in and it'll give you the option to install
it. As the blog says, I always install certificates in the place where
they can be used for absolutely everything!

You can convert a .pem to .cer, which is actually PKCS#12/PFX, using
something like:

openssl pkcs12 -inkey my_key.pem -in my_cert.cert -export -out my_pfx.cer

I'm not guaranteeing this, and I could even be talking complete rubbish.
I know enough about this stuff to know that I don't understand it fully,
but I do know what's worked by pure dumb luck in the past!

Regards, Frank.