Change index location problem

igord igord at bra.in.rs
Wed Jun 11 12:01:42 UTC 2014

Hi All,

I was unable to change location of Dovecot indexes.

Currently they are under /var/vmail/%d/%u, but I want to change them to
/media/ephemeral0/%u

I've changed conf line in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%u:INDEX=/media/ephemeral0/%u

and setup permissions of /media/ephemeral0 to dovecot:dovecot, tried also
vmail:mail (which is default user for e-mails) and also tried with 777 on
all dirs, but Dovecot is keeping creating indexes on the old location. I
tried moving them from old to new location, but Dovecot recreates them on
the old location.

Details:

# dovecot --version
2.0.9

# doveconf -a | grep location
mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%u:INDEX=/media/ephemeral0/%u

Has anyone experienced something similar, any solution for this?

Thanks in advance!