display SSL version?

Zube Zube at stat.colostate.edu
Thu Jun 12 18:32:57 UTC 2014

On Thu Jun 12 07:28:57 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> but you have %prefix/libexec/dovecot/imap-login and if you
> even managed to link it static

Hmm.  I do feel like an idiot now.  I don't think it's statically
linked.

prompt> file imap-login
imap-login: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, AMD x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), not stripped

I certainly wasn't able to build dovecot until I rebuilt ssl with -fPIC.

> why do you need to look
> what version - you should know and avoid static linking
> in general

It's a sanity check to make sure what I think is running is running.

I can get sshd to tell me it's running:

"OpenSSH_6.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.1h 5 Jun 2014"

by passing it an unknown option on the command line (there is probably
a better way).

Similarly, I can query apache with curl and it will tell me:

OpenSSL/1.0.1h

I was just curious if there was an easy way with my current dovecot
environment.  Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,
Zube