[Dovecot] TLS/SSL for Win8 & Outlook

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Thu Jun 26 10:11:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 11:53:49 +0200, Adi Kriegisch stated:

> On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 09:14:26PM +0200, Robert Schetterer wrote:
> > Am 21.05.2014 19:47, schrieb Sebastian Goodrick:
> > > I just installed the (rapid-ssl) certificate and it works now.
> > > Needless to say that I don't understand it. The old certificate worked
> > > with all other clients but win8/outlook, plus the old dovecot install
> > > worked with win8/outlook as well.
> I am struggling with the same issue for some time now: win8/outlook isn't
> able to connect to dovecot 2.2.9 (from Debian/backports); the error on the
> outlook side of things is 0x800CCC0E which is really helpful.
>
> The suggestion to disable TLSv1.2 on the windows side is dangerous:
> win8/8.1 requires TLSv1.2 for downloading updates -- no TLSv1.2, no
> updates. If absolutely necessary, disable TLSv1.2 on the dovecot side of
> things!
>
> I decided to do some additional debugging by running 'openssl s_server' on
> the imap server with the very same certificates and settings (as far as it
> is possible with s_server) on a different port, changed the port in outlook
> and manually proxied the imap requests through: That way outlook works just
> fine:
>
> openssl s_server -tls1_2 -accept 8993 -cert /etc/dovecot/my.crt \
>     -key /etc/dovecot/private/my.key -serverpref -cipher '...(*)' \
>     -dhparam /root/group16.pem
>
> (group16.pem contains 4096bit DH params that are standardized; on the
> dovecot side, the dhparam length is set to 4096bit as well)
>
> The very same thing happens with two different classes of ciphers:
> ECDHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (which is what win8/outlook used to use before the
> last update) and with DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384 (which was just recently
> added by the last update by Microsoft). So neither EC nor DHE cause any
> changes in the behavior (as I was suspecting dovecot's dh params for some
> time).
>
> I think something in the handshake doesn't work the way it should and
> causes ms crypto api (v6.3 and v6.2) to just close the connection after
> handshake (a paket capture just shows the client sends a RST after key
> exchange).
>

> > there where some bugfixes with certificates ( windows )
> > but that should not impact brand new installs with full recent patch level
> AFAIK new (pretty cool) ciphers were introduced and I don't see how the
> issue can be solved by changing the certificate: I used a cert from CACert
> and a Cert signed by my own CA -- both resulting in a non-working
> connection between dovecot and outlook on win8(.1).
> However using the very same certificate with OpenSSL's s_server, the
> connection worked just fine (as did disabling TLSv1.2) -- both indicators
> that the certificates are just fine.
>
> The only thing I can imagine that EC and DHE have in common are some SSL
> extensions like session tickets (which outlook tried to use). Here are the
> details of the session outlook established with s_server:
> openssl sess_id -text -in param
> [...]

I did some checking on MS forums for this problem.

SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

According to many of the posters, the problem is often causes by the AV
program blocking or messing with port 25.

What version of Outlook are you using anyway?

--
Jerry