Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Mon Jun 30 22:28:37 UTC 2014

I'm still pretty new to running a mail server, but one thing I've come
to appreciate over the years is a good backup strategy. Since I have
always run my own servers for practice and for personal use I don't have
access to Enterprise backup solutions. Because of that I usually just
fall back to scripts and tarballs and offload the content on a regular
basis.

Right now I'm using LVM snapshots + tarballs for daily backups, but I'd
like to get better coverage for incremental changes that occur
throughout the day. The size of existing content is low, but (small)
changes are frequent.

I went with Maildir format because based on my reading it is referred to
as time tested and corruption resistant. Because individual emails are
stored as separate files this also leads me to believe that a version
control system (Git, SVN) would allow for easy point in time restores.

I'm also going to research the GNU tar utility's support for incremental
archives as that sounds promising.

Suggestions and warnings are most welcome.

Thanks!