Mailboxes are in Maildir format. Any good backup tips? Had success with version control?

Robert Gierzinger robert.gierzinger at hpc.at
Mon Jun 30 23:05:56 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-01 00:28, deoren wrote:
> I'm still pretty new to running a mail server, but one thing I've come
> to appreciate over the years is a good backup strategy. Since I have
> always run my own servers for practice and for personal use I don't
> have access to Enterprise backup solutions. Because of that I usually
> just fall back to scripts and tarballs and offload the content on a
> regular basis.
>
> Suggestions and warnings are most welcome.

I suggest rdiff-backup: a great tool that keeps an actual sync
(rsync-based) of the data-directory and the metadata (delta) in a
seperate directory to restore data from any date.

Alternatively, you might want to take a look at bacula, which was faster
in most cases (development seems to have stalled, but there is a fork I
have not had time to take a look at: bareos). However, I liked the
rdiff-backup way because I can restore files via scp or rsync (most of
my requests were like "please restore from yesterday") or if I want to
restore data from a certain date I can use rdiff-backup from command
line (bacula is much more complex, and you need the admin tool to
restore files)

hth,
Robert