[Dovecot] Tracking logins

Robert Schetterer rs at sys4.de
Mon Mar 3 08:55:49 UTC 2014

Am 03.03.2014 00:06, schrieb Alex:
> Hi,
>

> I'm using dovecot-2.1.17 on fc18 and wondered if there is some
> mechanism, perhaps a database,  that can store the logins/logouts for
> each user? I realize there's something already logged to syslog, but
> I'd like more of a history.
>
> While lastlog is great for users that actually login, my dovecot users
> don't login, just check email via pop and imap.
>
> Any ideas greatly appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Alex

depending what you results you need, use i.e logwatch or take stuff out
of syslog at logrotate time with a script

like

https://sys4.de/de/blog/2013/02/02/monitoring-dovecot-last-login-rsyslog/

https://sys4.de/en/blog/2013/01/10/xymon-dovecot-count-imap-pop3-logins-graph-central-rsyslog-server-ubuntu-lucid/

using syslog with db, or syslog analyser solutions like graylog2, logtash,

also maybe fine

http://8pussy.org/
http://sareport.darold.net/

also you might give stats plugin a try