[Dovecot] Any client out there taking advantage of Dovecot's virtual mailboxes?

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Wed Mar 5 18:07:21 UTC 2014

Quoting Aleve Sicofante <asicofante at gmail.com>:

>>  I'm talking about this: http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual
>>>

>> Every client can take advantage of them.  From a client's perspective,
>> they are just another IMAP mailbox.
>>

> Of course any client would be able to "see" them once created somewhere
> else. The point is obviously finding a client capable of creating such
> virtual mailboxes from searches, labels, etc.

You are misinterpreting what the Dovecot virtual plugin does.  It
allows an admin to create virtual mailboxes.  It does not provide a
client with any ability to alter edit/those mailboxes.

We've had virtual mailboxes in our client for 10+ years (i.e. client
displays a "fake" mailbox that is generated via server-side search
actions).  That's the only 100% reliable way to implement this across
IMAP servers.

RFC 5466 can be used for this on the IMAP side, but there's not really
any server-side support for it so it is not a viable option at this
time.

michael