[Dovecot] Struggling with antispam

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Fri Mar 7 16:21:37 UTC 2014

On 07/03/14 12:14, Paul Tansom wrote:
> Anyway, as an aside to this, I've been amazed how effective
> greylisting has been - so much so a that on my server I've not got
> round to putting the full anti-spam configuration back in.

That is very interesting -  I was running on a 256Mb Pi (the old model
B) and it would have worked with only the milter-greylist package
installed.  When my wife expressed an interest in the old PI as an XBMC
front end I splashed out on a replacement with 512Mb, and have added
dkim, clamav and dspam checks as well (just got this working and
antispam working). and I am using just over the 256Mb in a pretty static
state (I am routing all my outgoing e-mails through it, but I have not
yet switched over from my other e-mail server)

One question I would be very interested in - and can't find much about
it is how long do you greylist these people for?

Basically I only greylist people who fail the spf checks at the moment
(that is specifically those who explicitly fail the spf check and those
that have an spf record with a +all at the end)

I greylist a softfail for 4 hours and a hard fail or open for 12, but I
plucked these figures out of the air.

Alan