[Dovecot] Turning on autocreate of maildirs - how?

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Tue Mar 11 16:25:45 UTC 2014

On 11 Mar 2014, at 6:18 PM, Jeroen Massar <jeroen at massar.ch> wrote:

> On 2014-03-11 17:04, Graham Leggett wrote:
> [..]
>
>> Mar 11 16:02:37 monica dovecot: imap(test at sharp.fm): Error: user test at sharp.fm: Initialization failed: Namespace '': Ambiguous mail location setting, don't know what to do with it: /home/vmail/test at sharp.fm/ (try prefixing it with mbox: or maildir:)
>
> This line is important the important one and tells you what to do.
>
> (effectively dovecot does not know the format of the mail directory
> hence it does not know how to create it…)

For years the trailing slash has indicated the mailbox format as maildir, and dovecot has been happily autodetecting these maildirs without a problem.

In our case in addition to dovecot we have a combination of postfix and a legacy courier-imap, how will these the be affected by the addition of "maildir:"?

What I don't understand is why autocreate is ignoring the long standing convention that the trailing slash indicates maildir, and whether this is intentional or whether there is some reason for it.

Regards,
Graham