[Dovecot] Any client out there taking advantage of Dovecot's virtual mailboxes?

Aleve Sicofante asicofante at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:44:52 UTC 2014

> Quoting Aleve Sicofante <asicofante at gmail.com>:
>

>>>  OK. Subscribed and voted, but the bug should point to "where to start"
>>> in

>>> Ok, but... where would that be? I don't see a 'Where to start' to point
>>> to...
>>>
>>> And, well, if subscribed and voted, you could easily add that yourself,
>>> no? ;)
>>>

> This isn't going to happen in thunderbird, outside of someone writing code
> for thunderbird to login to the dovecot server (via SSH with an admin/root
> password), find the dovecot config files on the server (which will vary
> based on each server), edit the dovecot config non-interactively, and then
> be be able to restart the dovecot server to make the changes stick (which,
> again, will vary based on each server).  I would guess there is about a
> none percent chance of that occurring.
>

>  You can read what he says in this very thread. I'm not a google+ user
>> either. He just says Dovecot's virtual mailboxes are intended for admins
>> only, not for clients. It doesn't sound logical, but that's what he says.
>>

> This is exactly what I said previously in this thread.  And it is a 100%
> accurate statement.
>
> The ONLY way this can be implemented client-side is if there are some sort
> of standardized IMAP commands that the client can use to alter the
> mailboxes.  There isn't.
>
> In general, IMAP 4 doesn't allow a command to work on multiple mailboxes
> at a single time (outside of MULTISEARCH... but that's one reason why
> MULTISEARCH is experimental and really hasn't provoked much interest).
>  That's why virtual mailboxes don't conceptually work very well as a
> server-level entity and instead make much more sense as a client-level
> feature.
>
> michael

I don't know who designed the dovecot virtual mailboxes, but they make VERY
LITTLE sense as admin only. On the other hand, virtual mailboxes on the
server but managed by the client, make A LOT of sense. IMAP is expandable.
I don't see a reason why Dovecot can't make extensions to the protocol to
allow that. That's exactly what Google made to their IMAP servers and it
works wonderfully.

As a matter of fact, I guess that's what Dovecot could use: an IMAP
extension that manages labels/virtual folders/search folders, right from
the client.