[Dovecot] Password hashing issue

Daniel Reynolds daniel.reynolds at providenceday.org
Wed Mar 19 21:47:16 UTC 2014

Hello,

First off, thanks in advance for all of your help.

Now to my issue:

I am setting up my first email server. It will be for just me and a few
other people. I am using an Amazon EC2 server running Ubuntu 12.04. My MTA
is postfix.

As I said, this is my first time setting up an email server, so I am
following a guide that Arstechnia has published
(link<http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/taking-e-mail-back-part-2-arming-your-server-with-postfix-dovecot/4/>
).

My issue comes when I try to create a hashed of my passwords. I have tried
entering the command, "doveadm pw -s SSHA512". When I do this, I get the
error message, "doveconf: Fatal: Error in configuration file
/etc/dovecot/conf.d/99-mail-stack-delivery.conf line 6: Unknown setting:
ssl_client_ca_dir".

I have tried running that command with sudo and as root, but I still get
the exact same error message.

I had configured /etc/dovecot/conf.d/99-mail-stack-delivery.conf earlier
on, and line 6 of that document says, "ssl_client_ca_dir = /etc/ssl/certs"
which is exactly what the ars guide told me it should say.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks again,

Daniel