[Dovecot] Case-sensitive INBOX or client issue?

SB Code Ninja sb.ninja at gmail.com
Sat Mar 22 00:33:29 UTC 2014

I am using dovecot as an IMAP server for a Cisco product (Cisco Agent
Desktop by Calabrio) and noticed some odd behavior when trying to access
emails.  The mail is delivered to the main INBOX, then a Cisco server moves
it to a directory within the INBOX based on the queue it is meant for.
 Here is the directory structure of the Maildir:

Maildir/INBOX
Maildir/INBOX/tmp
Maildir/INBOX/63
Maildir/INBOX/63/tmp
Maildir/INBOX/63/dovecot.index.cache
Maildir/INBOX/63/cur
Maildir/INBOX/63/cur/1395445673.M548066P32100.uc-util,S=6403:2,
Maildir/INBOX/63/dovecot.index.log
Maildir/INBOX/63/dovecot-uidlist
Maildir/INBOX/63/maildirfolder
Maildir/INBOX/63/new
Maildir/INBOX/dovecot.index.cache
Maildir/INBOX/cur
Maildir/INBOX/dovecot.index.log
Maildir/INBOX/dovecot-uidlist
Maildir/INBOX/62
Maildir/INBOX/62/tmp
Maildir/INBOX/62/dovecot.index.cache
Maildir/INBOX/62/cur
Maildir/INBOX/62/cur/1395445491.M591207P32114.uc-util,S=6380:2,
Maildir/INBOX/62/dovecot.index.log
Maildir/INBOX/62/dovecot-uidlist
Maildir/INBOX/62/maildirfolder
Maildir/INBOX/62/new
Maildir/INBOX/new

Email is delivered to INBOX then gets moved to INBOX/62 or INBOX/63.  The
desktop software is then supposed to read the email and process it.  I did
a packet capture of the conversation and saw the following:

IMAP Response: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
ID ENABLE AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
IMAP Request: A0 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN
IMAP Response: +
IMAP Request: <redacted>
IMAP Response: A0 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS
ID ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND
UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1
CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH
LIST-STATUS] Logged in
IMAP Request: A1 LIST "" Inbox/63
IMAP Response: A1 OK List completed.
IMAP Request: A2 CREATE Inbox/63
IMAP Response: A2 NO [ALREADYEXISTS] Mailbox exists.

If I login manually and do 'LIST "" INBOX/63' it works fine, but not with
"Inbox/63".  I was under the impression that INBOX was not case-sensitive.
 Is this a bug or is the client doing something silly?

Thanks,
Henry

dovecot -n
# 2.1.7: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.32-5-amd64 x86_64 Debian 6.0.7
disable_plaintext_auth = no
mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  mailbox Drafts {
    special_use = \Drafts
  }
  mailbox Junk {
    special_use = \Junk
  }
  mailbox Sent {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox "Sent Messages" {
    special_use = \Sent
  }
  mailbox Trash {
    special_use = \Trash
  }
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
protocols = " imap"
ssl = no
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}

--
"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay