[Dovecot] Direct groups of users to pairs of backend servers

Murray Trainer mtrainer at westnet.com.au
Tue Mar 25 13:18:06 UTC 2014

On 25/03/14 15:06, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> On 3/24/2014 10:02 PM, Murray Trainer wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using dovecot in the Director setup with multiple proxy and
>> backend mailstores and user information stored in LDAP.  I am aware
>> users can be directed to a single backend server.  It would be useful
>> to be able to direct groups of users to pairs of backend servers to
>> give some fault tolerance against NFS issues and make the whole thing
>> more scalable.
> Your description says you currently have a "shared nothing" storage
> architecture.  You can't get any more scalable than that.  To enable
> "groups of users" to be directed to "pairs of backend servers" you'll
> need each member of the pair to mount the NFS path of the partner server.
>
> Then you will have two different mailbox locations to deal with.  Do you
> have per user mailbox paths configured in LDAP?  You will have to do
> that for this "pairing" to work.
>
>> Otherwise each backend mailstore will need all
>> the NFS mounts and the whole cluster will be affected if one NFS mount
>> has an issue.
> The whole cluster will not be affected.  Only users whose mail in on the
> problem mount will be affected.  This is no different that your current
> setup in that regard.
>
>> I am not sure if this possible with the current
>> dovecot implementation?  If not it would be a great enhancement.
> So, in a nutshell, you want Dovecot to be able to overcome faults in
> your NFS architecture because you did not build in redundancy?  Is this
> correct?
>
> Why are you concerned about NFS mount failures?  Most folks running NFS
> Dovecot clusters share a single mount with all mailboxes among all the
> cluster nodes.  You seem to have multiple mounts, one for each backend
> node.  If mount failures were a common occurrence, we'd see frequent
> reports of that.  But we don't.  Did you home brew your NFS servers and
> they're not reliable?
>
> Cheers,
Hi Stan,

Sorry I didn't properly explain my setup.  The backend mailstores each
have the same set of 5 NFS mounts from EMC VNX storage where the
mailboxes are located.  We don't use share NFS filesystems directly
between mailstores. There is no relation between the number of NFS
mounts and backend mailstores.  We are talking about migrating a large
amount of users and mailboxes - 100,000+ and 50TB+ and don't want to put
that all on one NFS filesystem.  We want to break it down into redundant
parts so that all the mailstores don't stop functioning  if there is a
problem with the one NFS filesystem.  Our NFS storage should be pretty
reliable but the email below on this list about a week ago made me
concerned about all our mailstores hanging if there is a problem with
one of the NFS mounts.  Hence the query about breaking up the NFS mounts
into groups per pair of mailstores.  We will eventually set mail servers
and redundant EMC storage between separate data centres and use pNFS
which will make the whole thing more fault tolerant but that won't
happen for a while.

Thanks for your response.

Murray