[Dovecot] IMAP proxy with master user and CRAM-MD5 auth mechanism

ML mail mlnospam at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 07:00:18 UTC 2014

Hello,

I would like to know if it possible to have a dovecot IMAP proxy frontend where CRAM-MD5 can be used as auth mechanism (assuming I would be using a master user/password on the dovecot IMAP backend/mailbox)? I have read a few times the following http://wiki2.dovecot.org/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/Proxy page but somehow it is still unclear to me if the IMAP proxy then needs to have all the users and passwords in its proxy table in the database? Unfortunately there are no examples for that case.

Also with this case scenario is it possible to store the users' passwords in CRAM-MD5 format?

Any pointers or documentation to such a scenario would be great.

Thanks and regards
M.L.