[Dovecot] [Bug] doveadm pw Fatal: open(/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf) failed: Permission denied

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Sat Mar 29 22:55:57 UTC 2014

On 03/29/2014 06:06 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.03.2014 22:51, schrieb Dwain Blazej:
>> dovecot --version => 2.1.7
>>
>> When I as a normal user the command:
>>
>> doveadm pw -s sha512-crypt -p example_password
>>
>> the command exit with return code 89 and the message
>>
>> doveconf: Fatal: open(/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf) failed: Permission denied
>>
>> If I make Dovecot's configuration files world readable the error goes away
> what about calling administrative commands not as normal user?
>
>> Please remove configuration file dependencies from "doveadm pw"
> and how is it supposed to work without the configuration?
>
> how do you come to the conclusion that a command called "doveadm"
> is supposed to be started as non-admin?

Not directly related (and I don't disagree), but this brings to my
attention that doveadm seems to be missing a -c option to load an
alternative config file.

As for creating a password hash, just do it with a perl one-liner or
something like that, see for example Crypt::Passwd::XS or Crypt::Password