[Dovecot] maildir backup

Nikolaos Milas nmilas at noa.gr
Mon Mar 31 15:07:48 UTC 2014

On 31/3/2014 10:52 πμ, Ramon Orrù wrote:

> Hi everybody, I'm trying to backup a dovecot instance, and i'm looking
> for a method to "snapshot" dovecot maildir in a properly way, and
> backup whole snapshot in a second step (tar). I read about dsync, end,
> if i'm not going wrong, it dumps correctly also dovecot indexes; is it
> the tool i need? Thank you for any hint. Ramon

You could use dsync Replication (http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Replication)
to another server. Then, you already have a real time backup!

If you need a consistent backup instance, I guess you could stop the
mirror server for a while to tar your mail directory.

Someone else may confirm whether the above process is right indeed
and/or suggest other options.

All the best,
Nick