[Dovecot] output of doveconf in conflict with order of settings in conf.d/*-*.conf files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri May 2 12:59:12 UTC 2014

On 17.2.2014, at 10.58, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> wrote:

> I wanted to enable stats, so I added the settings from http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Statistics into conf.d/99-stats.conf:
>
> mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats
> protocol imap {
>  mail_plugins = $mail_plugins imap_stats
> }
> plugin {
>  # how often to session statistics
>  stats_refresh = 30 secs
>  # track per-IMAP command statistics
>  stats_track_cmds = yes
> }
>
> reloaded dovecot, see output of doveconf -n below, but I got the error:
>
> imap: Error: Can't load plugin imap_stats_plugin: Plugin stats must be loaded also (you must set: mail_plugins=$mail_plugins stats)
>
> If I move the line "mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats" from 99-stats.conf into 15-stats.conf, the output of doveconf -n looks the same, but the stats is working.
>
> I tried finding information about the significance of the order of settings - I mean which number should a conf-file has - , but failed in the Wiki and mailing list. Is this a bug or should there be a documentation?

The problem is basically this:

mail_plugins = quota
protocol imap {
  mail_plugin = $mail_plugins imap_quota
}
mail_plugins = $mail_plugins stats

The last global mail_plugins doesn't update the protocol imap { mail_plugins }. It wouldn't be easy to fix this, and I'm also not sure if it's even a good idea.