[Dovecot] BINARY FETCH conversion issue

Michael M Slusarz slusarz at curecanti.org
Sat May 3 05:19:59 UTC 2014

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> On 30.4.2014, at 0.27, Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at curecanti.org> wrote:
>
>> Not sure if this is an example of Cyrus' QP decoder being more
>> robust (or lenient) than Dovecot's.  Or whether this is intentional
>> to return NIL for this kind of bad data.
>
> It was kind of intentional. Dovecot's istream-qp-decoder aborts when
> it finds anything broken. I guess it could simply skip errors, but
> I'm not sure how good idea that is either..

I don't find it all that useful for a server to try to guess the best
decoding results.

Instead, I'd rather be told that the part is broken thus giving me the
option to download via a normal BODY FETCH ... since that allows me to
resolve the decoding issue locally however I want.

>> Although if intentional, output should probably be a NO response
>> with UNKNOWN-CTE response code, since this appears to be an
>> instance of "the server does not know how to decode the section's
>> CTE". (RFC 3516 [4.3]).
>
> Yeah, I think that's better. Fixed:
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.2/rev/197f77f6ef0d

Thanks.  I agree that this is the best solution.

michael