[Dovecot] LMTP hostname ignoring ENV variables

G H uothrawn at yahoo.com
Wed May 21 15:02:51 UTC 2014

I am having an issue with LMTP appending the local hostname to received mail from Postfix. I either want to append localhost, a custom string, or nothing at all. Looking through the source code, I believe I should be able to set "export DOVECOT_HOSTNAME" and "export DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN" in my initscript to override the hostname set in lmtp/commands.c, client_get_added_headers()

I'm using Centos 5; my hostname is mailtest1.atest.qq -- it is not defined in /etc/hosts.

The added header is below:

           id CC743116AB5; Wed, 21 May 2014 13:39:03 +0000 (UTC)

I have the following defined in /etc/init.d/dovecot:

export DOVECOT_HOSTDOMAIN=dovecot.mailorxyz.de
export DOVECOT_HOSTNAME=dovecot.mailorxyz.de

Am I missing something or did I misunderstand the source code?

Thanks.