[Dovecot] Dovecot ontop of glusterfs issue.

Thu May 22 11:30:27 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 01:48:23PM +0300, Eliezer Croitoru wrote:
> Well manually using a crontab with ntpdate to a pool of servers should be
> good enough right?

Not really. NTPdate steps the clock forward or backwards
instantaneously. Depending on how bad your system clock is, that could
be a jump of several seconds. Now, which came first? This midnight or
that midnight?

NTPd, on the other hand, delicately adjusts the clock frequency so that
the clock drifts back into synchronisation. So your seconds might be
0.01% shorter than real, but they still all happen in the right
sequence.

ntpdate is really only any good being run once (at boot), for example if
you have a clock that can't keep time while the system is off.