[Dovecot] socket /var/spool/postfix/private/auth not created

lister171254 llsubscr at zudiewiener.com
Sat May 24 09:56:14 UTC 2014

I'm on Ubuntu 13.10 and followed these instructions
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/HowTo/PostfixAndDovecotSASL to configure Dovecot
for Postfix.

No matter what I try, the listener is not created.

<http://dovecot.2317879.n4.nabble.com/file/n48182/32.png>

dovecot -n does not show the listener (I guess that's why its not created)

This is the extract from the /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf

---------------
service auth {
  # auth_socket_path points to this userdb socket by default. It's typically
  # used by dovecot-lda, doveadm, possibly imap process, etc. Users that
have
  # full permissions to this socket are able to get a list of all usernames
and
  # get the results of everyone's userdb lookups.
  #
  # The default 0666 mode allows anyone to connect to the socket, but the
  # userdb lookups will succeed only if the userdb returns an "uid" field
that
  # matches the caller process's UID. Also if caller's uid or gid matches
the
  # socket's uid or gid the lookup succeeds. Anything else causes a failure.
  #
  # To give the caller full permissions to lookup all users, set the mode to
  # something else than 0666 and Dovecot lets the kernel enforce the
  # permissions (e.g. 0777 allows everyone full permissions).
  unix_listener auth-userdb {
    #mode = 0666
    #user =
    #group =
  }

  # Postfix smtp-auth
    mode = 0600
    user = postfix
    group = postfix
  }
  # Auth process is run as this user.
  #user = $default_internal_user

}

Postfix is not involved in this right now as I expect the socket to be
created when I restart dovecot. Can't find any meaningfull errors in the
logs either.
I hope I'm missing something obvious

Thanks,

Leo