Best practise for deleting with Thunderbird

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Sun Nov 9 00:45:07 UTC 2014

On 08. nov. 2014 19:15, Reindl Harald wrote:

> move in case of thunderbird is always copy+delete
>

> that's how it works

Really? Sure? Icedove gives me THREE choices, move, mark as deleted, or
delete immediately. I thought the codebase was the same for thunderbird
and icedove?

With the middle choice (Just mark as deleted) I get a red cross over
deleted messages, and they stay around until I "compact" the mailbox.
The "just mark as deleted" might depend on dovecot announcing that
capability, I have not checked. It IS available with dovecot using
Maildir storage, under all icedove versions since I can remember.

Check your mail-client and see. Under "account settings" -> "server
settings".