Migrate system users to virtual users

Gedalya gedalya at gedalya.net
Thu Nov 13 21:01:26 UTC 2014

On 11/13/2014 01:29 PM, Ron Leach wrote:
> If we do copy the maildirs and change the permissions, does all the
> metadata that the clients, or Dovecot, use to detect new, existing, or
> downloaded mail remain valid?  Or should we use a different approach?

/srv/mail/domains/example.com/exampleuser << This would be your 'home'
in dovecot terms.
Typically sieve files/directory/symlinks would be stored below this point.
/srv/mail/domains/example.com/exampleuser/Maildir << This would be your
Maildir.

You have two items: home, and maildir.
If you copy the maildir, you have everything, except for anything else
that dovecot might be storing outside the Maildir, in the home
directory. This would typically be sieve stuff, as mentioned. Take a
look and see. Review your config etc.
But in terms of what you specifically asked - just keeping track of
messages and their flags, it's all within the Maildir, positive.

The Maildir does not need to be a subdirectory of the home directory,
this is just my example.

One other thing that is possible in dovecot is separate storage for
indexes, but if you're doing that, I would think that you should know
you are :-)