Dovecot wiki LMTP description

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Nov 14 14:15:04 UTC 2014

List, we are planning a new configuration to which we'll migrate an
existing installation shortly.  We are hoping to use Dovecot LMTP and
have a query about the wiki entry for LMTP

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/LMTP

where it suggests this config:

service lmtp {
   inet_listener lmtp {
     address = 192.168.0.24 127.0.0.1 ::1
     port = 24
   }

Does this example mean that LMTP will only listen for input messages
from the interface with IP address 192.168.0.24 (plus localhost)?  If
so, I probably haven't understood how LMTP is intended to work.  Is
there a reason why we want to limit LMTP to listening for messages
from a specific IP on the network?  I need to understand that so that
I replace ...24 with a suitable host interface that exists on our LAN
(we don't have a host at 192.168.0.24).

Apologies for what must seem, to people using LMTP, a very basic
question.  Nevertheless, I would be grateful for any clarification.

regards, Ron