Understanding filesystem quotas

Jiri Bourek bourek at thinline.cz
Fri Nov 14 14:52:02 UTC 2014

On 14.11.2014 15:29, Chris Szilagyi wrote:

>>> 1) have enabled quotas on /home/username/mail,
>>> 2) have reloaded Dovecot after config change,
>>> 3) have read dovecot logs, if there are errors, and
>>> 4) maybe you need to configure a limit, in order to enable quotas in
>>> Dovecot at all.
>>
>> Tried on my server, seems like you're right - Dovecot is ignoring
>> quota_rule userdb field and grabs the soft limit from the filesystem.
>>

> OK good to know.  So it sounds like Dovecot is relying on the filesystem
> quota system to do the enforcement.

Don't think so. From my experience when you have different soft and hard
filesystem quota, Dovecot enforces the quota even when filesystem would
allow writing more data (ie. when you are above soft quota but under
hard quota.)