Dovecot wiki LMTP description

Ron Leach ronleach at tesco.net
Fri Nov 14 15:39:06 UTC 2014

On 14/11/2014 14:23, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 14.11.2014 um 15:15 schrieb Ron Leach:
>

>> service lmtp {
>> inet_listener lmtp {
>> address = 192.168.0.24 127.0.0.1 ::1
>> port = 24
>> }
>>
>> Does this example mean that LMTP will only listen for input messages
>> from the interface with IP address 192.168.0.24 (plus localhost)? If
>> so, I probably haven't understood how LMTP is intended to work. Is
>> there a reason why we want to limit LMTP to listening for messages from
>> a specific IP on the network?
>
> no - it *listens* on that IP's
>
> the "address" exists for all other services too
> a server likely has more than one interface / IP

Got it.  Thanks, Harald, and Fernando.  I had wondered whether the
...24 was just the example machine for the LMTP host but the wiki was
silent on that so, rather than guess, I though it best to check.

We will be running LMTP and Exim on the same machine so may leave the
machine's external port 24 unserved.

Grateful, Ron