Using dovecot-lda with sendmail

Chris Szilagyi chris at apex-internet.com
Sat Nov 15 14:26:46 UTC 2014

> It seems that sendamil is running the lda, but the lda has problems
> that are reported by by exiting with tempfail. You should check the
> logging that is emitted by dovecot-lda to find what the problem is.
>
> Ownership of the binary should not be one of them, I think, but show
> us logging from dovecot-lda and we can tell you more. 'dovecot -n'
> output would also help a lot.
>
> Regards,
> 	Tom

I've enabled dovecot-lda logging with:

protocol lda {
  log_path =
  info_log_path =
  syslog_facility = mail
}

However it's not producing any entries in the mail syslog.  I'm wondering if
it's not even executing dovecot-lda then.  As a test I tried running
"/usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda -d username" directly as root to see what
happens, and I got a blank email delivered to "username" OK.  So based on
this I think lda is OK?  I am not seeing any errors logged when sendmail
tries to use dovecot-lda though.

Here's what "dovecot -n" shows:

# 2.2.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.10.0-123.9.2.el7.x86_64 x86_64 CentOS Linux release 7.0.1406
(Core)  ext4
mail_location = mbox:/mail/home/%u/mail:INBOX=/mail/spool/%u
mail_plugins = " quota"
mail_privileged_group = mail
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character
vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags
copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
mbox_write_locks = fcntl
namespace inbox {
  inbox = yes
  location =
  prefix =
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
plugin {
  quota = fs:User quota:user
  quota_rule = *:storage=1G
  quota_rule2 = Trash:storage=+100M
  sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
  sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
postmaster_address = postmaster at localhost
protocols = imap pop3 sieve
service managesieve-login {
  inet_listener sieve {
    port = 4190
  }
}
ssl_cert = </etc/pki/tls/certs/mailcert.crt
ssl_key = </etc/pki/tls/private/mailcert.key
userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
protocol lda {
  info_log_path =
  log_path =
  syslog_facility = mail
}
protocol imap {
  mail_plugins = " quota imap_quota"
}

Thank you very much for any further thoughts on this.
--
Chris