Mail sync at filesystem level

Cédric Jeanneret dovecot at tengu.ch
Tue Nov 18 08:49:44 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm currently building a mail infra using some decentralized filesystem
for the storage.

As I'm wanting to get multiple "entry-points" (servers running dovecot +
postfix + other mail-related stuff), all of them sharing the same
storage (most probably xtreemfs), how will dovecot cope in this case?

As I see things:

server1 gets a mail for User1; it pushes it to the xtreemfs directory.
server2 shares the same xtreemfs directory, thus it can access the same
mail listing

User1 connects to server2: will he see the new mail? Will dovecot on
server2 know about it?

Thanks!

Cheers,

C.