spam folder and POP users

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Fri Nov 21 10:40:15 UTC 2014

Am 2014-11-21 um 02:21 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
> On 11/20/2014 07:55 PM, Joseph Tam wrote:
>>
>> Seems sort of klunky though.  In my opinion, your energy is better
>> invested in converting your POP3 holdouts to IMAP.
>
> Agreed.  I am looking at what it takes to do this with Thunderbird, as I
> am the biggest holdout!  The recommended way is HARD.  I have 20 years
> and gigabytes of emails in local pop folders that I do not want to loose
> or have replicated on the server.  Somewhere is the magic goo for this.
> Once I figure it out for myself, it will be easy for the other users.

It might not be that hard with Thunderbird. You have though to recreate
all accounts as IMAP ones, which leaves the POP ones alone. This is most
of the work.

Then, in the Profiles/...../Mail folder in the local filesystem move all
POP folders below the "Local Folders" there. Then delete the POP accounts.

Likely you can even point the "archive" Folder in IMAP account settings
to this new path, tick keep structure and from now on, move mails from
IMAP to local with a single tap on the "a" key.

I did this years ago, so take advise with caution.

--
peter