Outlook 2010 not connecting to secure POP3

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Sun Nov 23 21:08:55 UTC 2014

OK, I did not know that this user has a new computer with Outlook 2010.
This SHOULD make it easier but...

I have the computer right next to me, they brought it over.  It is on
the same LAN as this notebook.  I can access my server with:

openssl s_client -connect z9m9z.htt-consult.com:995

And then log the user in with the appropriate POP3 credentials.

In Outlook 2010, in Advanced settings I have specified "This server
requires an encrypted connection (SSL)" and it switches to port 995
(from 110).  I try connecting and I get an error that

"Your server does notg support the connection encryption type you have
specified."

The first time we tried this it installed my self-signed cert in the
local cert store.

Any idea on what is going on or how to get this working?