Probably K9 not Outlook - Re: Outlook 2010 not connecting to secure POP3

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Mon Nov 24 00:32:49 UTC 2014

On 11/23/2014 06:37 PM, Bertrand Caplet wrote:
>> Hey Robert,
>> There is a command on linux to test ssl/tls smtp server :
>> openssl s_client -connect mail.example.com:port -starttls smtp
>>
>> You just need openssl for windows here :
>> http://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
>>
>> Let me know if this is working.
>> Regards
>>
> By the way if this isn't working,
> try connecting to your server via Mozilla Thunderbird. You'll get fixed
> if this is related to K9 or to your server.

I use Thuderbird all the time.  I would have to install it on the users
computer.  But the problem was a nanny software that was monitoring
ports opened so any program that tried to connect to port 995 and do a
TLS handshake would have gotten slapped down.

The user now knows that the K9 nanny software was blocking the mail.  We
disabled it monitoring https and secure pop3 started working.  So now
they have to figure out how to enable it and allow the mail to work.
Not my problem.