Move mail behavior

Martin Stigge martin at stigge.org
Thu Nov 27 16:14:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-11-26 at 07:31 +0100, Steffen Kaiser wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2014, Martin Stigge wrote:
>
> > I've recently migrated my IMAP mail setup from a server running an older
> > Debian Squeeze with dovecot 1.2.15 to a new Debian Jessie system with
> > dovecot 2.2.13. In the old setup, it used to be so that a mail moved
> > from a folder to another one was marked as deleted in the originating
> > folder (in dovecot 1.2.15). In the new setup, the mail just disappears
> > from the originating folder (with dovecot 2.2.13). The mail arrives
> > properly in the target folder, so that's fine. But I actually liked the
> > old behavior.

After a little more digging I found that dovecot 2.2 implements the IMAP
MOVE extension from RFC 6851 which my clients also support. Before that,
a copy with delete was used, explaining the different behavior. I also
see MOVE announced as a capability, so my clients use it. So, no config
issue, just a new feature.

Regards,
Martin