Unable to see virtual users

Randall Gellens dovecot at randy.pensive.org
Thu Nov 27 19:20:14 UTC 2014

I'm still having trouble getting users accepted by postfix + dovecot.

I have a few (<10) virtual users configured in a passwd-style file in
/etc/dovecot/users.  I can verify that dovecot sees those users and
can authenticate them using 'doveadm' as well as IMAP.

I also have one system user configured via PAM.  I can verify that
dovecot sees this user and can authenticate using 'doveadm' as well
as IMAP.

I configured the 'dovecot' service in /etc/postfix/master.cf and set
/etc/postfix/main.cf to use it to deliver virtual mail, per the
dovecot wiki.  I also set the postfix local delivery command to
dovecot-lda per the dovecot wiki.

I first tried telling postfix to not check local users by setting in
/etc/postfix/main.cf:

	local_recipient_maps =

With this setup, mail is received and delivered for the system user,
but mail to virtual users is bounced with 'unknown user':

	postfix/local ... relay=local ... status=bounced (unknown user: "test")

So then I tried to tell postfix that it had virtual users by
configuring them in /etc/postfix/virtual_users and creating a hash
using 'postmap' and then in /etc/postfix/main.cf setting

local_recipient_maps =  proxy:unix:passwd.byname
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users $alias_maps

This made no difference at all.  Mail to virtual users still bounces
with 'unknown user' while mail to the system user is delivered.

So then I set 'mydestination' to an empty string in
/etc/postfix/main.cf and set 'virtual_mailbox_domains' to the string
that had been in 'mydestination', and set 'mydestination' to an empty
string.

With this setup, mail to virtual users is delivered, but mail to the
system user bounces with 'unknown user':

	dovecot: auth: passwd-file(randy): unknown user
	dovecot: auth: passwd-file(randy at domain): unknown user
	dovecot: auth-worker(12538): passwd(randy at domain): unknown user
	postfix/pipe[12548]: ... to=<randy at domain>, relay=dovecot ...
status=bounced (user unknown)

My dovecot config:

----------
# 2.2.9: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 3.13.0-39-generic x86_64 Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS ext4
auth_verbose = yes
first_valid_gid = 120
first_valid_uid = 112
log_timestamp = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S "
mail_location = mdbox:/local/mnt/mail/%n
managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope
encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric
relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify
environment mailbox date ihave
namespace inbox {
   inbox = yes
   location =
   mailbox Drafts {
     special_use = \Drafts
   }
   mailbox Junk {
     special_use = \Junk
   }
   mailbox Sent {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox "Sent Messages" {
     special_use = \Sent
   }
   mailbox Trash {
     special_use = \Trash
   }
   prefix =
}
passdb {
   args = username_format=%n /etc/dovecot/passwd
   driver = passwd-file
}
passdb {
   args = username_format=%n
   driver = pam
}
plugin {
   sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
   sieve_dir = ~/sieve
}
postmaster_address = randy at domain
protocols = " imap sieve pop3"
ssl_cert = </etc/dovecot/dovecot.pem
ssl_key = </etc/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
userdb {
   args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/local/mnt/home/%n
   driver = static
}
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}

----------

My postfix config:

----------
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
dovecot_destination_recipient_limit = 1
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_users $alias_maps
mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/dovecot-lda -f "$SENDER" -a
"$RECIPIENT" -d "$USER"
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination =
myhostname = ocean.qualcomm.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
readme_directory = no
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost = mailhost.qualcomm.com
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_relay_restrictions = permit_mynetworks
permit_sasl_authenticated defer_unauth_destination
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls = yes
virtual_mailbox_domains = domain, ocean, localhost
virtual_transport = dovecot

--
Randall Gellens