Unknown scheme SSHA256.HEX.b64

grundy grundy at hyperboria.name
Sat Nov 29 04:04:57 UTC 2014

I'm getting a very strange error and I'm completely mystified by it. Thank
you so much for taking a look!

I recently migrated some users from another dovecot server to my own, and
the previous admin had the passwords in their database using the SSHA256
scheme in HEX format. All the password hashes are in my database (MySQL)
with a {SSHA256.HEX} prefix, and I thought at first that they were working
fine, but then I checked my logs and am seeing this:

localhost dovecot: auth: Error: password(***@***.***): Unknown scheme
SSHA256.HEX.b64

(I have replaced the email address with asterisks)

I am completely flabbergasted, as I can't imagine how "SSHA256.HEX.b64" is
even coming in to existence as a string. I have triple checked the database
and that combination appears nowhere in it.

Does anybody have any idea how that is happening? Thanks again.