Multiple passwords for a user (SQL)

Marco Fretz marco.fretz at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 09:01:40 UTC 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this has been discuessed already as I coun't find
anything in the archives - maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing.

I want to build something similar to googles "app passwords" where your
use a different password (strong, auto generated) for each device / app.
In general I think this is pretty easy on the database side as I just
need a password table and link say the passwords with an user_id to the
corresponding user in the users table - one use has many passwords (1:n).
for dovecot this means that it will get multiple rows with passwords
back from the "password_query". is there a way to tell dovecot to check
all those returned passwords and "pass" the request if one of those
passwords match?

thank you,
best regards
Marco