Keywords & sync

Peter Chiochetti pch at myzel.net
Tue Oct 7 21:28:49 UTC 2014

Am 2014-10-07 um 22:08 schrieb Steffen:
> Robert Schetterer wrote:
>> Am 07.10.2014 um 18:56 schrieb Ralf Hildebrandt:
>>> We're using keywords within Thunderbird, and we're syncing those
>>> using IMAP. When using more than 5 keywords, we're envcountering
>>> problems - they're only partially being synced (between two
>>> clients, but not all clients).
>>
>> guess you mean this
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Tags
>>
>> IMAP
>> Thunderbird tries to store tags on the server using IMAP keywords.
>> If the IMAP server doesn't support that it will store lags locally
>> in the .msf file for the folder. That means that another PC can not
>> see the labels.
>
> There is another paragraphe to notice:
> "For sharing tags with another PC (or Thunderbird using a different
> profile) you need to have defined the same tags to see them.
> Thunderbird appears to have hard coded support for five tags that
> mimic the old labels."

Steffen is spot on: only the computer, where you create a tag, will
display the new tag. If a tag with the same number but another label
exists there, it will show a different label.

The tag is stored on the server, but it will not sync labels to other
clients!

Besides, dovecot is probably limited to 26 tags (letters of the alphabet).

PS: I really liked to see a feature to limitlessly tag messages with
arbitrary text strings from a synced, easily extensible vocubulary :)
But storing them as headers might go against the idea of IMAP, to keep
message pristine, storing them extra makes much buro-cracy, oh my!

--
peter